Transport Canada is currently working on a regulatory framework for commercial UAV use in Canada. The changes are scheduled to be made public in the Canada Gazette in the Spring of 2017.
- The regulatory exemptions will be updated prior to expiring on December 16, 2016.
- Clarification of recreational versus non-recreational users.
- Introduction of an “unregulated” of a threshold of 250g.
- Introduction of 1kg weight category.
- Marking, registration, and identification standards.
- UAV design standards.
- Pilot permit requirements versus knowledge requirements.
- Adjustments to age requirements, indoor and tethered operations, and liability insurance.
These are only proposed changes, and is not certain to become law.
Should you have concerns to the proposed changes, a good place to start is involvement with Unmanned Systems Canada.
The complete Executive Summary to Stakeholders can be read here.